Skeltons

Marcelin... I didn't choose it for a last name but it sure does a great job at representing me. All my life, I've had to clarify that my name is 'Haitian from Haiti' and not 'Asian from Asia' but I'm ok with that.  I am a proud Haitian American. Yes, I love 'diri ak sos pwa'. Of course, I know the song "Zouk la se sel medikamen" and no... I can't sit still when I hear it play.



On the grounds of Temple Square, along with my family name I displayed the flag of a nation that has had several victories followed by many years of tragedy. I was able to speak the language of my people and develop a testimony that everything is possible for those who love and believe in God. 




On December 2011, I married the best man in the world and he gave me his last name and I am proud to make it my own. Together we have embarked on a journey. Being a Navy wife has its challenges but I am proud of my husband as he represents our country and our last name neatly stitched on his uniform.




"Skeleton, well that ain't right you have quite a bit of meat on you there"... that comment still puts a smile on my face. Still, I am proud to be a Skelton. 





 Marcelin represents my roots, my love for a good plate of 'banan pese' and the good ol' Kompa Kreyol.  Skelton is the name that represents my branches, the wonderful man I choose to spend the rest of my life with and the family I choose to make my own. 



Comments

Popular Posts