Wedding week in Provo
Ms. Gina's wedding was this weekend and it has been filled with old family jokes, reminiscing nights, outfit changes, chaos with a hint of classic Haitian drama. I must confess, I was feeling a little jellee that she had all kinds of family members flying to Utah for her big day. Since we only see each other once every five thousand years, I made sure to spend as much time as possible with everyone. Even thrift store visits became kodak moments. I was snapping pictures like an addict. Click!
I also had to brush up on my Haitian etiquette. Just to name a few, calling a grown up by their first name without adding a tittle like "aunty", which in creole would be "Tati", is a sure way to end up with the slapped cheek syndrome...grown up version. If you walk into a room without extending an individual greeting to everyone, you just signed your death sentence. It might be the nostalgia speaking, but I really like all those little traditions even if they can be a bit much.
While at Savers, Angie found a book she remembered reading many years ago. We joked about how funny it would be if it turned out to be her old library book which was accidentally packed and taken to Utah.
IT WAS HER OLD BOOK!! Maitland Middle, PA we salute you.
At one point we had a member of our family on every single seat in the salon. We learned it wasn't such a good idea to get pedicures a day before the wedding, we were late to all kinds of wedding stuff. That's what we get for waiting on Stephanie to get there. Stephanie, get it together. Haha!
And the bride!
Grandma Losena was cracking us up with all her out of place comments, fun Haitian jokes and her down right "I don't care" attitude. I captured her sleeping while waiting for her turn at the nail salon.
The day of the wedding was of course stressful but it looked like a beauty salon with all the different hair do plans. In one corner, Tati Carline and her daughter Camille were multi tasking monkey style. Camille would cry as soon as someone even considered touching her hair. In the end, we tamed her fro quite well and she looked darling.
The whole week grandma Losena was cooking all kinds of delicious meals but the day of the wedding mom declared a kitchen strike. We all had to make do with her famous shakes. This time, no one complained since we all had wedding dresses to fit in.
Because they live in Utah, it's almost impossidle to find a salon that can work on black hair. I was able to work on the bride's hair and it took about 3 hours to get it all done. I was very nervous that I wouldn't be able to comply with her wishes but it turned out just lovely. I had never added so many extensions to someone's hair before. Although, she did not say much when I was done, I was so relieved her hair looked just liked the pictures she had given me.
Finishing touches to my master piece. I can now add hair stylist to the list of skills adquired by necessity.
Tati Carmel was in another corner working on adjustments to the bridal gown. I wish she were there for mine, I was in the verge of tears when I noticed the errors on my wedding gown. Tati Carmel was so prepared, in her carry on she had absolutley everything we needed: scissors, eye drops, hair spray, extra emergency wigs, tape and even a blanket.
Angie stayed up all night working on her natural hair style. I gave her the big chop just 2 days prior and she is way on top of it. As she embraces the natural hair community, I boldy welcomed the creamy crack in all it's glory.
Grandma Losena just sat and cracked jokes while we all worked. Every now and then she would remind us that she too needed someone to take care of her hair. We also had to keep reminding her that she was not allowed in the kitchen, and no matter what she said we would not cave in and eat her meals. That didn't work, we ate and it was yummy.
Priceless moment caught on camera. To understand how special this is, a bit of history is needed. Grandma Losena is my mom's aunt. She is the sister of our grandmother. My mother lost her mom when she was only 10 year old. Her life has been very difficult while living with her step mother, especially since she never had mother daughter moments in her life. Because of it none of us are very affectionate, emotional, touchy people. We were never raised like that. Even though I knew she loved us it was never because she had used words to express it or even physical touch. When I walked in on this moment, I felt I had witnessed a monumental event and had to get my camera. I don't know what was being discussed but I could feel the burdens being lifted and the healing in the room just by standing there. I left as quickly as I could.
The wedding was absolutely beatiful and the bride looked gorgeous. Having additional family members there was the icing on the cake. Speaking of cake, I didn't get to try any.















Comments
Post a Comment