Our very own Easter


For a little while, I have been thinking a lot about Easter and how it should be just as celebrated as Christmas. The Atonement is the most important aspect of the gospel and our lives, I wanted to make it special for the boys and for all of us in general. I had cooked up so many plans in my mind until I read the first presidency message. It was a warning to not pack so much information in our children's minds in hopes of helping them get a testimony. We are to create a desire to know about the gospel based on our love for it. Information will come later but the feelings will stay forever.  


We decided to set up an Easter tree during the Holy week. We have Christmas trees so it's only natural. On Palm Sunday we set up the tree and added palms to it. The Friend had a pretty clever idea of having the kids trace their hands and reenact our Savior's triumphant entry into the city of Jerusalem. The boys loved shaking their palms and it reinforced what the prophet was teaching, keep it all simple and the details will come later. 


For family home evening we talked about faith. We learned a new song and ate Fig Newtons since the scripture talked of Jesus cursing a fig tree. 


We then did the Easter egg hunt at church. Shadd remembered doing it and was super excited about collecting eggs. Taj had no clue of what was going on, in fact he fell asleep for most of it.  


It was so adorable all the little stations they had set up before the actual hunt. We talked about the fall and the purpose of the atonement and how Easter is the celebration of Christ's triumphant victory over death. Some of the kids understood but Shadd seemed to only enjoy the treats but I'll never know for sure. 



On Holy Saturday we cooked up a kosher meal and because of my love for other cultures I managed to mimic the traditional meals. I even made a matzo ball soup. 


We turned off the lights on our Easter tree on Good Friday night and also kept it off all of Saturday. It was a constant reminder to keep my mind on the Savior. 


On Easter morning we had the basket that Sister Kelly had prepared along with balloons all over the house. We had turned on the tree and Shadd was very thrilled to see the lights again. 







Travis got the leaf blower out and started to blow the balloons all over the room. The kids loved it and it really made our Easter celebration.  It reminded me that the real reason we can laugh and be happy is because of our Savior and His atonement. We then watched this years Easter video and with that ended our Easter celebration. 


I was worried I had done all this work for nothing. Maybe it was all just fluff and I kind of got a little too concerned about that. Travis then shared an experience he had during the egg hunt. A young boy ended with absolutely nothing in his basket after the hunt. He was crying but there were no more eggs to give to him. A father noticed his crying and asked his son to share his eggs with the crying little boy. His son reluctantly gave all of his eggs away and went back to his dad with tears in his eyes. Travis then said the father told the little boy something and then hugged him and the boy seemed proud of what he had done. He then tied this story with our Heavenly Father asking our older brother to perform the atonement for us. In conclusion, it was my very best Easter and I can only hope the kids will remember the feelings they had because I sure will. 


Comments

Popular Posts